For Upwork Profile Verification, Upwork may require verification of any user to uphold the Upwork Terms of Service.
Possible reasons Upwork might require you to verify your identity for Upwork Profile Verification include:
- To determine ownership of duplicate accounts
- To determine ownership of linked accounts
- To assist you in resuming your account
- To determine ownership of accounts showing suspicious or high-risk activity
- Know Your Customer (KYC) program compliance
- Any other reason that Upwork deems appropriate, including random checks to maintain the integrity of the marketplace
You will need to scan two documents in order to verify your identity. Don’t crop, rotate, touch up, adjust colors, or alter the images in any way.
- Your current, valid government-issued photo ID
- This ID must include your picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address, with the exception of passports, which don’t need your address.
- The image must be a color scan that shows your photo and required data clearly. The four edges of the ID card must be visible in the scanned image. If the expiration date is on the back of your photo ID, then you should send us a scan of the back of the card, as well.
- Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver’s license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets the criteria above. Even when issued by a government agency, we can’t accept documents like student IDs, employee IDs, or library cards.
- A recent billing statement
- Your name and address must be visible.
- The utility company or bank address information must be visible.
- Your account may be a joint account, but your name must be on the account. Your address must match the location information you entered on Upwork. Your name must match both your Upwork account information and your government ID.
- The dates on your scanned statement must be within six months of the date you upload them.
- Acceptable documents include bank statements, credit card statements, utility bills, or any other monthly bill that meets the criteria above.
Prepare for Upwork Profile Verification
Before you begin:
- Gather and scan the necessary documents.
- If you need to verify the authenticity of an identity verification request, contact support.
Your Upwork profile must be consistent with your verification information:
- Upwork profile picture must be consistent with ID picture
- Upwork profile address must match address on statement
- Upwork profile name must match both government ID and statement
- Upwork profile payment methods must match name on government ID and statement or provide additional documentations showing legal authorization/ownership.
If you are unable to verify your identity, Upwork may, at our discretion:
- Suspend payments from your account
- Suspend all of your contracts
- Revoke the Upwork Payment Protection for your existing contracts
- Suspend or close your account
- Suspend or close suspected duplicate accounts
Warning—Deliberately uploading falsified documentation is a crime and violators will be permanently suspended. Upwork may report users who attempt to send fake or falsified documents.
Identity Review Process
Upwork will review your uploaded content to ensure it matches our criteria for your Upwork Profile Verification. This usually takes three to four business days. Upwork will notify you when we complete the review. In addition to the verification process above, may require you to submit additional documentation or a short video. In some cases, it may also be necessary to contact you for a live video call.